All quotes are from IGNITE THE SUN by Hanna Howard.
1. Maybe you have to know the darkness before you can appreciate the light.
2. Magic cannot go unchecked. If history teaches you nothing else, let it teach you that.
3. Her ‘Darkness’ now shielded the kingdom while the rest of the world burned.
4. “Me” was a person I barely knew anymore.
5. I swayed and reached out for the earthen wall. I was a monster. It was almost the only thought I had room for, it seemed so big and unwieldy.
6. All the darkness in the world cannot extinguish the light of a single candle.
7. While darkness was nothing new to any of us, we were at least used to days that paled enough to give depth and variation to the Shadows.
8. Darkness inspired more dread in me than it did anyone else.
9. He had told me plenty about the old days—about the way sunshine looked on the trees, and the glitter of the sea at sunset, and even about sunchildren and the way they used light to make magic.
10. Time is not something we’re lacking.
11. Time was absolutely the only remedy to the deep fracture in my trust.
12. Despite their hopes for my new powers, I positively dreaded using them.
13. You’re just going to have to learn, because no one else can be who you are.
14. What would be dangerous is for you to carry on not knowing what your powers are, or how to use them. Believe me. Learning about them is the quickest way to make them safe.
15. The sun was a powerful enemy of disease and promoted strength and health.
16. You can do just about anything when you have no other choice.
17. Be careful meddling in things you don’t understand.
18. Fear of what someone else might think of me was not uppermost among my concerns.
19. If you don’t want to be alone, you don’t have to be.
20. I’ve spent most of my life quaking in fear of things.
21. Being afraid doesn’t make you a coward. Everyone’s afraid of things. It’s how you react that makes you a coward.
22. Hiding from the things you’re afraid of…that’s what’s cowardly.
23. You’re not a coward. You’re just not being as brave as you could be.
24. The strings sang with a voice that seemed to come from the world beyond the worlds, for it was wild and elegant at once; sometimes keening so high it was almost a screech, but never too severe; other times dragging low and resonant and so rich the sound echoed through my bones.
25. It takes courage to resist using your powers.
26. Life can be overwhelming and sometimes it catches up to you.
27. Life is endless and deep and dazzling in the open water…Not like rivers.
28. Certain things make me more aware of the loss of him than I usually am.
29. It suddenly seemed stupid to keep my feelings from him when life was so short and full of uncertainty. There was no guarantee any of us would survive the next week—let alone the rest of our lives.
30. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
31. I could not—would not—be ruled by my fear. I could use it, I could heed its advice, I could even let it fuel me…but I could not allow it to control me.
32. Use my emotions instead of letting them use me.
33. I was glad to have a power that was strong and dangerous. Because the Darkness was strong and dangerous too, and I needed to be a match for it.
34. You can’t always trust gossip.
35. We were like pieces on the board of some invisible game, immobile, each waiting for the other to move.
36. Bravery was acting in spite of fear.
37. Something had changed in me, and I no longer wanted to be perfect. I was glad to be what I was. Because I liked me.
38. Magic is often controlled by thought and emotion.
39. For a while they stood there, like men on the edge of a sleep where nightmare lurks, holding it off, though they know that they can only come to morning through the shadows.
40. Amazing how you could know a thing in your mind, but not understand it until it was standing before you.
41. This safety you think you have is an illusion.
42. My brother was not the sort of person to let his pain rule him.
43. Quiet and kind were very admirable qualities.
44. I want to be brave, but I’m always afraid.
45. Staying would neither make nor keep me brave.
46. It was overwhelming, I thought, to have felt so much for a person for so long, to have kept it hidden—and then suddenly to let it stretch inside your heart like a freed captive. I had never known anything more terrifying, or more wonderful.
47. That was what I was: a tool for other people’s ends.
48. No one wants another war.
49. Why should we die for people we don’t even know—people who are too lazy to stand up for themselves?
50. Some people take longer to heal than others, and other people don’t heal at all, they just run from the past and try to forget it by throwing themselves into new tasks they hope will erase the wounds.
51. Some costs will always be too steep.
52. Into the darkness they go, the wise and the lovely.
53. When sunlight hits you, it draws you upward, like a flower or a tree. Only you don’t have roots, so you leave the ground.
54. I had once thought stars were just another fairytale, like the sun. And the moon too—but there it was, off to the east, rising in a halo of the silver specks that now shone pearly light down onto the surface of the Darkness, making it look strangely and unexpectedly beautiful.
55. Light beats darkness. Every time.